Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Shine Upon My Hour

In the deep hours of night, I am awoken by gentle moonlight falling, soft and luminous, upon my face and hair. I silently greet this moon rising into the quiet night sky before falling asleep once more. I have a special fondness for the wild beauty of the waning moon. I do not know why.

Past my window, the moon continues to rise, sharing its bounty, glimmering upon the river water and illuminating the surrounding hills. Above them, fine clouds have become lustrous platinum the light of which fills the land so that it seems a fairyland I do not know. Instead of my own small realm which I know so well.

In the morning I will see that we have had visitors: fresh footprints are made by small creatures that walk silently upon the soft earth overnight. Who they are I cannot say, for in this place nearly anything is possible. But I observe very little outside in the cool Winter night, even under this beautiful moon, because my bed is so warm and sleep is so delicious here.

Snow blankets the woods, the skies are vast and quiet, the earth remains serene. What lovely peace this is.

2 comments:

Lesley Austin said...

Dear Kajsa,
Our poor internet connection lost my original comment to you...but I will try again...because I was thinking about you when I was filling my last order for the month of May. I keep your beautiful letter pinned to the board above my wrapping desk-so I see it and other lovely things whenever I am working there.

I hope this finds you well. I was happy to see a new post since the October one-tho' I am two months late in finding it! But your evocative words make me want to move my bed closer to the window.

With fond wishes for a lovely Spring for you,

Lesley

ButtonWillow Cottage said...

There are a slim few spots that are a delight to visit, and so I was quite thrilled to have found yours! I'm sad to see that you have not had time to leave a fresh note here...but I do know cottage duties can entangle one so.
Just wanted to tell you that all of us at ButtonWillow Cottage enjoyed strolling your grounds and invite you to visit ours whenever you wish. If you do choose to post again, please drop us a note to let us know that you are up and about.
Your writings are quite beautiful.

Lauren
Mistress--ButtonWillow Cottage