Monday, July 9, 2007

Berry Merriment at little Orchard House

It is a very happy day at little Orchard House. The first of our black raspberries have ripened full!

These berries are from wild canes or canes planted long ago, perhaps. I did plant a few red raspberries early this Spring but they are, of course, not bearing yet.

About a month or so ago, I discovered a mulberry bush on the property. We ate some of the luscious purple gems that were in abundance and the rest I put up for wintertime when we are berry-poor. The very highest branches we left alone for the birds' supper.

Besides the raspberries and mulberries here, there is a cherry tree, a crab apple and a apple tree. We have a tiny elderberry thicket, too.

Late last year when we bought this property, I had visions of a great many fruit trees, bushes and canes. Thoughout the long Winter, I dreamt of the blessings of fruits showering down upon us in this place... strawberries in Spring, raspberries all the Summer long and apples and pears at Autumntide.

Now that it is high Summer and the boughs of our trees are full of leaves, I can see that there is less sun in the garden than I thought at first. The great trees take much of the sunlight for themselves, though they do share some of it, dappling it in hues of greengold through their branches and leaves. I love our woods and begrudge not the trees their days in the sun. But I have to think more carefully about how to add to our home orchard.

But little Orchard House is well named, truly. I am so grateful for the the old fruit trees and bushes here. And already our lives have become more fruitful in this place, in ways that I did not foresee. What a wonderful place this is!


Today for breakfast I am enjoying yoghurt with pecans, bee pollen and raspberries fresh from our berry patch... Hurrah!


1 comment:

tlchang said...

I know what you mean - we have limited sun here as well (and I'm not cutting the great trees - we appreciate the shade when it's hot) - so I have to carefully plan and work around the few sun patches I have. It's an ongoing evolution.

I have had a number of mornings now where my breakfast has consisted of strawberries, raspberries or blueberries eaten direct off the plant, warmed by sun. Now there are too many raspberries to eat all the pickings in one shot, but it is still a delightful pasttime.