Tuesday, June 5, 2007

At the Well

There is a well at little Orchard House but it has not been used for a while now.

There is a cistern here, too, but it has also fallen into disuse in recent years.

Of course there is no outdoor faucet from the plumbing of the cottage!

Each morning I fill my watering can and a bucket from the faucet in the bathtub, then carry them outside to water the gardens before returning inside again to refill my buckets. I do this a dozen times, being a raincloud to the tender plants and seedlings of the realm. I have, however, a bit of hope for the end of this particular chore. My father has said that when he visits at the end of the month, he will install an outdoor faucet for me. Hurrah for Dad!

Until then, I keep on with my folly. Because even the morning sun in June is warm... and the berries and roses need a little help from a raincloud.


No comments: